Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning
This easy homemade taco seasoning mix comes together in less than 5 minutes and
makes the best addition to your favorite Mexican food. So much better than the
Prep Time 0 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon chili powder or sweet paprika for a mild flavor
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Mix chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, chili flakes, oregano, black pepper and salt in a mixing bowl or a mason jar and stir to combine.
Enjoy with tacos, fajitas, Mexican salads, sauces dips, soups or casseroles!
- The recipe makes 3 tablespoons which is an equivalent to one store-bought taco seasoning packet.
- To make 1 cup of taco seasoning, increase the serving size to 20 using the button above.
- Store the seasoning mix in a mason jar for up to a year. You can store it even longer but the smell and flavor will become less intense over time. I bet you will use it up much sooner though!
- You can grind it down a bit more using a coffee or spice grinder. I prefer not to do it though.
- Add onion powder if you are not using fresh onions for your tacos. I usually do, so I didn’t include onion powder in my seasoning mix.
- Leave out what you want and/or add spices you want. Add more chili powder and crushed chili flakes for extra heat, more smoked paprika if you like the smoky flavor, less salt if you follow a low-sodium diet. If you are NOT in the US, use 1 teaspoon chili powder, not 1 tablespoon!
- Add ½ teaspoon cornstarch to create a saucy consistency for your taco meat/meat substitutes/beans. Make sure mix the seasoning with 4-5 tablespoons of water before adding it to the skillet, too.
Calories: 12kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 327mg | Potassium: 59mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 875IU | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 0.9mg