Pita Pockets with Roasted Veggies and Hummus
These pita pockets with roasted veggies and hummus make for a healthy and delicious portable lunch meal and can be eaten warm or cold.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 4 people
For the pita pockets:
- 1 eggplant
- 2 carrots
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon Ras-el-Hanout
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 loaves pita bread preferably whole grain
- 1 cup or 160 grams good quality store-bought or homemade hummus for homemade hummus, see the ingredient list below
- a handful baby spinach
- pomegranate seeds, to garnish
- chopped parsley, to garnish
For the hummus:
- 1 cup or 160 g chickpeas
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1 small garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Ras-el-Hanout (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika (optional)
- a dash of chili flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water start by adding 1 tablespoon, then continue adding 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 200 °C or 400 °F. Julienne your veggies: Cut the eggplant, carrots and bell peppers in 10 cm (4 inches) long strips and arrange them on a baking tray spayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with spices (better combine them together in a small bowl), salt and black pepper and roast for about 25 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
Meanwhile, make the hummus if you want to make it yourself. Combine all the ingredients except water and blend until smooth. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.
Bake pita breads as per instruction on the package and cut them in halves. They will form pockets, so you can stuff them with about 2 tablespoons hummus each, a few strips of roasted veggies and a few leaves of baby spinach.
Lastly, sprinkle your pita pockets with pomegranate seeds and chopped parsley. If you don't follow a vegan diet, it's nice to drizzle them with a bit of Greek yogurt. Enjoy!
A small hack: if your kid wouldn't eat eggplants, sneak them into hummus!
You can adjust the recipe to your taste or depending on what veggies you have in your fridge.
This recipe makes 4 servings, two pita halves per serving.
Calories: 382kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 407mg | Potassium: 767mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 6270IU | Vitamin C: 43.6mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 4.8mg