Vegan Pesto Pasta with Beans and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
This creamy, delicious, healthy, satisfying vegan pesto pasta is the perfect marriage of comfort food and culinary art that comes together quickly and simply.
Cook pasta until al-dente according to the instructions on the package, drain and reserve ½ cup pasta water.
While pasta is cooking, microwave the drained cannellini beans and chopped sun-dried tomatoes until warm.
When pasta is ready, add vegan pesto, beans and sun-dried tomatoes. Add a few tablespoons of pasta water to thin it up if necessary. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Sprinkle with vegan parmesan (optional). Garnish with basil leaves. Enjoy!
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days. To reheat this pesto pasta, microwave it or warm on the stove.
- Keep up to 1/2 cup of starchy pasta water to thin the sauce. Add the water gradually, starting with 1 tablespoon, after you have combined pasta and vegan pesto.
- Use regular pesto for a non-vegetarian version. Just FYI, Parmesan cheese, which is normally added in traditional pesto, is NOT vegetarian.
- You can also use dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes. In this case, cook them together with pasta and chop after straining.
- Chickpeas, navy beans or any white beans can be substituted for cannellini beans.
- You can use gluten-free pasta or whole grain pasta for this recipe.
Calories: 414kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 359mg | Potassium: 605mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 975IU | Vitamin C: 30.1mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 1.8mg