Vegan Mexican Chopped Salad with Avocado Dressing
Delicious vegan Mexican chopped salad with avocado dressing makes the perfect lunch salad or an easy side dish to any Mexican feast. This gluten free salad is packed with fresh veggies, dietary fiber and plant based protein.
Servings 4 servings
For the vegan Mexican chopped salad:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 ear corn husks and silk removed
- 2 bell peppers red and green
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes red and yellow
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 scallions
- 1 avocado
- 170 grams or 1 cup black beans pre-boiled or canned
For the avocado dressing:
- 1 avocado
- 80 ml or 1/2 cup water (more to adjust the consistency)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
GRILL YOUR CORN: Use a broiler or a griddle pan to grill corn. Heat a lug of olive oil over medium-high heat and grill the whole corn cob for 15 minutes, lid closed, turning every 5 minutes, until the cob has black burn marks here and there and the kernels are soft (you can check it by piercing the cob with a fork). Let it cool a bit and remove the kernels with a knife.
CHOP THE VEGGIES: While your corn is grilling, chop the veggies. Dice red and green bell pepper, red and yellow tomatoes, red onion, scallions and avocado and arrange in four bowls or plates, creating sections (or just toss it all together if you prefer). Add already boiled (or canned and rinsed) black beans and the broiled corn kernels.
MAKE THE DRESSING: Pit and peel avocado, add water, olive oil, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper and process with a food processor or an immersion blender until smooth. Pour the dressing over the salad. Enjoy!
- Use lemon juice or apple cider vinegar instead of lime juice in the dressing.
- If you like a little spicy kick, try this avocado dressing with the salad.
- Add a bit of garlic powder to the dressing for an extra zing.
- Use any cherry tomatoes and bell peppers for this recipe. The more colorful the better!
- You can use canned corn and canned black beans.
- If the taste of raw red onion is too powerful for you, don’t add onions to the salad.
Calories: 347kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 184mg | Potassium: 1132mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin C: 108.8mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 2.2mg