Turkish Borek with Spinach and Feta Cheese
Turkish Borek with Spinach and Feta Cheese is great for a take along lunch or vegetarian dinner. It needs only 20 minutes to make and 7 simple ingredients.
Servings 8 servings
For the filling:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium-sized onion chopped
- 500 grams or 17.5 oz spinach roughly chopped
- 250 grams or 9 oz feta cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the milk mixture:
- 150 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large sheets phyllo dough
Make the filling
Heat a lug of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté minced garlic, chopped onion and spinach until soft, for about 5 minutes. In a medium-sized bowl, combine it with crumbled feta cheese. Add a bit of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Assemble the borek
Preheat the oven to 180 °C or 360 °F. Grease a backing dish (I used 30x20 cm or 12x8 inch rectangular dish) with a bit of olive oil. Lay a phyllo dough sheet in the middle of the baking dish, folding the ends inside and creating waves of dough. Smear with a bit of milk mixture.
Spread half of the filling over the softened phyllo dough, cover with another layer of phyllo dough, fold the ends and smear with the milk mixture again, following by the rest of the spinach feta filling.
Put the third and the last layer of phyllo dough on top of the filling, fold the edges and pour the rest of the milk mixture on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes. You'll see that it's ready when the top of the borek is golden-brown, just like on the pictures. Enjoy!
- You can use a rectangular, a square or a round baking dish for this recipe.
- Feel free to use frozen spinach instead of fresh. Make sure to drain it well after thawing to get rid of the extra liquid.
- This recipe is perfect for meal prep. Bake it in a tin foil dish and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, warm in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days. To reheat, simply microwave it or warm it in the oven.
- Serve it with ayran (Turkish yogurt drink), shakshuka, or a side salad (see suggestions above).
- Use any other kind of collard greens like kale, spring greens, bok choy, Swiss chard or scallions instead of spinach.
- Ground mozzarella can be substituted for feta cheese.
- To make this recipe vegan, use flax eggs, nut or soy milk and vegan cheese.
Calories: 556kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 935mg | Potassium: 507mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 6082IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 259mg | Iron: 6mg