Perfect Vegan Sloppy Joes
Mouthwatering, delicious vegan sloppy joes are the perfect addition to your vegan sandwich collection! Look no further to satisfy your craving for comfort food, with a healthy, vegan twist.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Servings 4 servings
For the filling:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- ½ jalapeño finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 sprigs scallions chopped
- 7 oz tempeh crumbled
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 ½ cup marinara sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the vegan sloppy joes:
- 4 hamburger buns toasted
- 1 red onion sliced
- ½ jalapeño sliced, optional
- 8 lettuce leaves
Heat olive oil a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and bell pepper and sautée for one or two minutes, then add jalapeño, garlic and scallions. Cook for 1 more minute.
Add crumbled tempeh, water, marinara sauce, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, smoked paprika and garlic powder. Let cook for 10 more minutes or until water is mostly adsorbed, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the sloppy joes filling over toasted hamburger buns with lettuce, sliced onions and jalapeño for extra spiciness.
Nutritious information is calculated for one serving (including a bun).
- To make the recipe even quicker, use a grinder to grind tempeh instead of crumbling it with your fingers.
- If there are any leftovers, they will keep well in the fridge for up to three days.
- Freeze this vegan sloppy joe filling for up to three months in your freezer.
- Perfect for batch cooking. Make a larger batch and freeze what you don’t eat for an even quicker meal in the future.
- To reheat, microwave or warm slowly on the stove. All you need to do is add a little water to restore the consistency.
- Instead of eating vegetarian sloppy joes two days in a row, throw the filling in my favorite slow cooker vegan chili recipe.
- Cut down on jalapeño to make your sloppy joes less spicy.
- Use whole grain, gluten-free hamburger buns, ciabatta rolls or sliced bread as an alternative to normal buns.
- You can skip sliced raw onions if they taste too overpowering to you.
Calories: 323kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1317mg | Potassium: 817mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 4406IU | Vitamin C: 48mg | Calcium: 184mg | Iron: 5mg