Vegan Grain Stew with Sweet Potatoes, Hazelnuts and Crispy Bread Crumbs
Vegan Grain Stew with Sweet Potatoes, Hazelnuts and Crispy Bread Crumbs: 45 min recipe of a hearty, flavorful and nutritious vegan stew. Perfect for autumn!
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 4 servings
- 1 big sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200 grams or 1 1/4 cup whole grains (any combination of wheat rye, barley, spelt, oat and millet), soaked over night
- 600 ml or 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 1 onion
- 1/2 leek
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 400 ml or two 13.5 cans tomatoes or the same amount of fresh diced tomatoes + 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 400 ml or 13.5 can kidney beans
- 2 leaves bay
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 handful green olives without stones
- black pepper
- 4 tablespoons ground hazelnuts + more to serve
- 3 slices whole grain bread
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- optional: sour cream or vegan cashew sour cream to serve
Preheat the oven to 180 ºC or 350 ºF. Dice the sweet potato and transfer to a baking dish or tray. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes.
Put the grains in a large pot or skillet and pour the vegetable broth in it. Bring to a boil and lower the heat.
Meanwhile, finely chop garlic, chop onion, peel and slice carrots and leek. Heat a lug of olive oil in a saucepan or skillet. Add vegetables in it and stir-fry for about 5 minutes. Transfer to the broth. Add diced tomatoes with juice, drained beans, bay leaves, smoked and sweet paprika. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Once the sweet potatoes are ready, add them to the stew together with olives. Before the end, add ground hazelnuts and season with salt and black pepper.
Make the bread crumbs: heat a lug of olive oil in the skillet you used for onions over medium-high heat. Break bread slices with your fingers into small pieces and transfer them to the skillet. Add garlic powder, salt and black pepper and fry until golden and crispy, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve the stew with breadcrumbs, ground hazelnuts, fresh herbs and (optional) sour cream. Enjoy!
Calories: 369kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 648mg | Potassium: 299mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 214.7% | Vitamin C: 8.8% | Calcium: 8.3% | Iron: 18.9%