Smoky Vegan Tempeh Bacon
This tempeh bacon will seduce you with its heavenly smoky, savory flavor. Jazz up your breakfast (or lunch, or dinner) with a sensational vegan substitute for bacon.
Servings 6 servings
Combine all the ingredients except tempeh in a large bowl. Keep 3 tablespoons of the marinade for serving. Add tempeh slices and coat evenly. Let marinate for 20-60 minutes in the fridge.
Heat a lug of olive oil in a large frying pan and add tempeh. Working in batches, cook on medium heat for up to five minutes on each side until it starts to brown. Drizzle with the reserved sauce. Enjoy!
- This recipe works well with batch cooking. It keeps well in the fridge for up to 1 month. Keep the marinade separate from tempeh.
- Consider making marinated tempeh a day ahead. You can marinate the tempeh for up to 24 hours.
- Tempeh bacon can be baked in the oven for about 20 minutes at 350 °F (180 °C).
- For more creative recipe ideas check these 20 best tempeh recipes.
- Avocado oil or other neutral oils can be substituted for sesame oil. Instead of using oil, you can add 2-3 tablespoons of water to the marinade.
- Use agave syrup or other sweetener instead of the maple syrup.
Calories: 102kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 219mg | Potassium: 204mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 575IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 1mg