Healthy Wholemeal Bread
This no-fail wholemeal bread recipe uses just a few ingredients you can easily tweak and is perfect for beginner bakers. Best whole grain bread recipe that is ideal for sandwiches and packed with nutrients.
Servings 10 servings
- 150 grams or 5 oz wheat berries or whole grain mix
- 500 ml or 2 cups almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or another liquid sweetener
- 42 grams or 1.5 oz fresh yeast
- 600 grams or 1.3 lbs whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- olive oil to grease the pan
Prepare whole grains
Soak the grains of your choice overnight. It can be pure wheat berries or a combo of wheat berries and any (or all) of the following grains: rye, spelt, millet, oat berries, barley, buckwheat and quinoa.
After soaking, boil them for 30 minutes or until they are done, drain well and let cool. If you don't have time for soaking whole grains, just boil them a little longer, until they are tender.
Cover with cloth and let rest for about 1 hour or until doubles in size (see notes). Once your dough has doubled in size, add the cooked grains (make sure there is no extra liquid in them) and transfer into a 12 inch rectangular loaf pan greased with olive oil. Cover and let rest for 30 more minutes. Preheat the oven to 220 °C or 430 °F.
- Don’t slice the bread directly after baking (although it’s tempting). Let it cool first as this will ensure even slices.
- You don’t have to add whole grains to your bread. You can skip this step and end up with a softer loaf.
- If you choose to use the grains, soak them in water overnight. After soaking, boil them for 30 minutes or until they are done, drain well and let cool. If you don't have time for soaking the grains, just boil them a little longer, until they are tender (check the readiness after 45 minutes).
- To shorten the proofing time, put the dough covered in the oven under the lowest temperature (not higher than 50 °C or 120 °F). It usually helps reduce the waiting time in half. Alternatively, use these proofing methods.
- Check the readiness by inserting a toothpick or a wooden skewer in the middle of the loaf. The bread is ready when it comes out dry.
- This bread is perfect for sandwiches like this vegan BLT tempeh sandwich.
- Store homemade whole wheat bread in a sealed plastic bag to keep it fresh longer (up to 7 days).
- Freeze this bread in a freezer bag or plastic wrap for up to 3 months. To reheat, let it thaw, wrap it in tin foil and bake for about 15 minutes under 190 °C or 370 °F.
- This wholemeal bread recipe has a certain degree of flexibility to help you adjust the ingredients to your taste.
- As an alternative to wheat berries use a combo of wheat berries and any (or all) of the following grains: rye, spelt, millet, oat berries, barley, buckwheat and quinoa.
- You can use lemon juice instead of apple cider vinegar.
- Use any other liquid sweetener instead of maple syrup: molasses, agave nectar, date syrup or barley malt syrup.
- Use any of the following types of plant milk: almond, oat, rice, soy, cashew, hazelnut, walnut, coconut milk.
- For this recipe you need 42 grams of fresh yeast (1.5 oz) that can be substituted for 17 grams or 2 tablespoons dry active yeast.
Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 765mg | Potassium: 248mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 5IU | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 2.8mg