Fresh Tomato Salsa (Pico de Gallo Recipe)
This easy Fresh Tomato Salsa recipe is healthy, absolutely delicious, and comes together quickly. Made with fresh ingredients, this Pico de Gallo will pair beautifully with any Mexican-inspired meal.
Servings 4 servings
- 3 ripe tomatoes chopped
- ½ red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño pepper seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- Juice of ½ lime
- Salt and black pepper to taste
In a medium bowl, combine chopped tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeño pepper and parsley. Add lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. Stir until the ingredients are evenly distributed. Enjoy!
- Dice your tomatoes and onions finely enough to have a little bit of each ingredient in every bite.
- You can use a teaspoon to scoop out the seeds and pulp to get rid of extra liquid. This will make the salsa store better.
- To bring all the flavors together, chill the salsa for an hour or two before serving. You can store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Serve the salsa cold and drain the liquid before serving.
- As tomatoes release a lot of liquid, serve your fresh tomato salsa with a slotted spoon. Use extra liquid for cooking rice or beans.
- Enjoy this fresh tomato salsa on top of vegan tacos, with nachos and tortilla chips, with homemade whole wheat tortillas, in burritos and burrito bowls, in Mexican-inspired salads or with pretty much any Mexican food!
- You can use any kind of fresh tomatoes for Pico de Gallo: Paste tomatoes, roma, vine, heirloom or even cherry tomatoes. Just make sure they are ripe.
- Substitute cilantro for parsley or use both.
- You can skip the garlic if you don't like its pungency.
- Traditionally, Pico de Gallo uses white onion but I prefer the red one. Feel free to use your favorite kind.
- Add more diced jalapeños (or serrano chiles for extra heat) if you like your salsa hot and more lime juice for an extra zest.
Calories: 26kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 7mg | Potassium: 255mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1040IU | Vitamin C: 20.2mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 0.4mg