Easy homemade whole wheat tortilla recipe only takes 30 minutes to make from scratch! They freeze well and are much healthier and cheaper than store-bought.
I love Mexican food, so this homemade whole wheat tortilla recipe is one of the basic ones I had to master to be able to cook healthy burritos, tacos, quesadillas, chimichangas, tostadas, etc at home. I love tortillas but I avoid buying them from the store because it’s really hard to find healthy ones. Many store-bought tortillas contain ingredients like preservatives, leavening agents and colorants you don’t want in your food.
The solution is to make whole wheat tortillas from scratch which sounds harder than it actually is. The whole thing will take you no more than 30 minutes! You can freeze them for using later and keep them ready for days when you are craving Mexican food.
Depending on the size, you can use them either for burritos and quesadillas or for smaller tacos and even smaller tostadas. I made them specifically for tacos, but you can easily customize the size of your tortillas by doubling the recipe. You can also divide the dough into less balls, so each dough ball will be bigger and your tortillas will be larger in size.
How to Make Whole Wheat Tortilla
The whole process is really easy and quick. You don’t need for the dough to rise or knead it for long. Combine whole wheat flour with salt, baking powder, olive oil and water until well combined. You might need more water or flour to make an elastic dough ball. Divide it into 10 smaller balls (they will be about taco shell size) and roll each of them on a flour-dusted surface into a circle. Fry them on a hot dry pan for 40 seconds each side, until puffy. It’s useful to use 2 or 3 pans at the same time if you are pressed in time. For crispier edges, fry them for up to a minute each side.
I will soon post a recipe for whole wheat tortilla tacos. They were super delicious, vegan and healthy, plus they only take minutes to assemble. Stay tuned! 😉
I hope you enjoy this easy whole wheat tortilla recipe and satisfy your Mexican food cravings in a healthy way!
Homemade Whole Wheat Tortilla
- 240 grams or 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 120 ml or 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine whole wheat flour, baking powder and sea salt. Add olive oil and lukewarm water, 1-2 tablespoons at a time, until the dough can be formed into an elastic ball.
- Divide the dough into 10 balls (for tacos or into 5 balls for burritos, etc). Roll each ball on a flour-dusted surface into a circle.
- Set a frying pan (or several pans) over medium-high heat and fry each tortilla for 40 seconds-1 minute each side, until puffy. Enjoy!
You can easily freeze these whole wheat tortillas for later. Just defrost them in your microwave before using.
Hope you had a wonderful Labor day weekend!