Easy and delicious gluten-free recipe of a vegan Mexican chopped salad with avocado dressing. Perfect lunch salad, packed with dietary fiber and protein.
It’s not the first time I’m making a Mexican chopped salad but it’s the first time I like it so much I would eat it every day for lunch!
It’s vegan and gluten-free, it’s packed with dietary fiber and proteins, it looks like a rainbow and the avocado dressing is so good! Besides, it’s very easy to make and it’s a perfect salad for your takeout lunch, barbecue party or even dinner!
You have to try making this salad, because you won’t turn back to boring salads ever again. It’s the perfect way to use all the summer produce such as tomatoes, bell peppers, corn, avocados and scallions.
I don’t have to tell you how good this salad is for you. OK, I will still write it: black beans make a great protein base, which is important, since the salad is vegan. Bell peppers are the perfect source of carotenoids, vitamins C, B6 and E, as well as health-supportive sulfur and antioxidants.
Tomatoes are rich in nutrients, too: they have outstanding antioxidant, vitamin and mineral content, improving digestion, eye sight, preventing skin, hair and bone problems (thanks to biotin) and high blood pressure. Corn is a good source of fiber, antioxidants and carotenoids, supporting digestion and regulating blood sugar levels.
Finally, avocados are knows as superfood, being loaded with fiber,antioxidants and most importantly omega-3 fatty acids. They are incredibly rich in nutrients like pantothenic acid, copper, folate, potassium, vitamins B6, C, E and K. As you can see, this salad is really good for you.
Just imagine: tangy bell peppers, sweet grilled corn, fresh succulent tomatoes, rich earthy black beans, pungent red onions and scallions meet creamy avocado dressing spiced with cumin and acidified by freshly squeezed tangy lime juice.
You won’t even miss meat here because the taste is very well-balanced and rich. If it sounds like a great salad to make for your family, keep reading and find out how to make this vegan Mexican chopped salad with avocado dressing.
How to Make Mexican Chopped Salad
First, you will need to grill your corn. If you don’t have a broiler, use a griddle pan (that’s what I did and it worked great). All you have to do is to heat a lug of olive oil over medium-high heat and grill the whole corn cob for 15 minutes, lid closed, turning every 5 minutes, until the cob has black burn marks here and there and the kernels are soft (you can check it by piercing the cob with a fork).
Let it cool a bit and remove the kernels with a knife. You won’t need any seasoning, as we will have a creamy avocado dressing to go with it.
While your corn is grilling, chop the veggies. I used red and green bell pepper, red and yellow tomatoes, red onion, scallions and avocado. Dice everything and arrange on two plates, creating sections (or in any other way you like). Add pre-boiled (or canned) black beans and corn kernels. By now, you are 90 % done. Wasn’t it easy?
How to Make Avocado Dressing
For the dressing, pit and peel avocado, add a pinch of cumin, salt, black pepper, lime juice, extra virgin olive oil and water and process with an immersion blender until smooth. This dressing is perfect for any salad, so you will find yourself making it over and over again. Feel free to double or triple the batch (believe me, it’s worth it) and refrigerate in an air-tight container or jar for up to 3 days.
Here is the full recipe of my vegan Mexican chopped salad with avocado dressing. I hope you and your family will enjoy it and make it one of your go-to salads.
I made a video to show you how to make this recipe, so I hope it will be helpful for you. I adjusted the recipe a bit according to the comments. I tested it again to make sure it’s really tTHE BEST vegan Mexican chopped salad ever. You’ll love the dressing, believe me. Please leave a comment below if you make this salad. I’d love to hear your feedback!
Here is a video showing you how to make Vegan Mexican Chopped Salad with Avocado Dressing!
Vegan Mexican Chopped Salad with Avocado Dressing
For the vegan Mexican chopped salad:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 ear corn husks and silk removed
- 2 bell peppers red and green
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes red and yellow
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 scallions
- 1 avocado
- 170 grams or 1 cup pre-boiled or canned black beans
For the avocado dressing:
- 1 avocado
- 80 ml or 1/2 cup water (more to adjust the consistency)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- GRILL YOUR CORN: Use a broiler or a griddle pan. Heat a lug of olive oil over medium-high heat and grill the whole corn cob for 15 minutes, lid closed, turning every 5 minutes, until the cob has black burn marks here and there and the kernels are soft (you can check it by piercing the cob with a fork). Let it cool a bit and remove the kernels with a knife.
- CHOP THE VEGGIES: While your corn is grilling, chop the veggies. Dice red and green bell pepper, red and yellow tomatoes, red onion, scallions and avocado and arrange on two plates, creating sections (or in any other way you like). Add pre-boiled (or canned) black beans and corn kernels.
- MAKE THE DRESSING: Pit and peel avocado, add water, olive oil, lime juice, cumin, a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper and process with an immersion blender until smooth. Pour the dressing over the salad. Enjoy!
Refrigerate the avocado dressing in an air-tight container or jar for up to 3 days.
Let me know when you make this recipe, I would love to know how it turned out.
P.S. For a similar veggie bowl recipe you can make for dinner, check these Healthy Veggie Bowls: Roasted and Stir Fried Veggies with Avocado Dressing.