Asian Veggie Noodle Bowls: Veggie-packed flavorful dinner which is really quick to throw together and so much better than takeout! Use any veggies you like.
Asian Veggie Noodle Bowls make a great weekday (or weekend) meal. They are flavorful, quick and easy to make and they are full of veggie goodness. Stir-fried carrots, green beans, shiitake mushrooms, spinach and chick peas stir-fried and served with creamy coconut sauce: to me it sounds like a nice healthy comfort meal.
If you are craving Asian food, these veggie noodle bowls a good choice, believe me. They are very addictively delicious and wonderfully satisfying, especially in winter. You can make these bowls in 20 minutes and so much better than takeout! Plus, you know exactly what ingredients are put in there. You can easily make the bowls gluten-free by using rice noodles, as well as make them vegan by omitting the fish sauce. You can also customize them in the way you like: feel free to substitute any of the veggies or proteins according to your taste or to what you have in the fridge.
It’s one of these quick-and-easy options that I value so much. It’s always nice to have a couple of recipes of healthy and delicious meals that take minimum time to throw together. I usually take pasta, rice or any other grains as a base, add some veggies, proteins like beans and nuts and give it a nice portion of dressing. That way you have the unlimited amount of meals to make! If you want to learn more about improvising in the kitchen, download my free e-book “How To Cook Without A Recipe”. It’s about combining and harmonizing flavors, making your dishes creative and delicious without strict recipe guidelines. My hope is to help you improvise and improve your everyday cooking. And again, it’s completely FREE.
Back to the saucy noodle bowls, here is the recipe for you. As I said, feel free to play around with ingredients!
Asian Veggie Noodle Bowls
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- vegetable oil
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small red hot chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger
- 150 ml coconut milk or 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce omit if vegetarian/vegan
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 100 grams or 3.5 oz shiitake mushrooms
- a handful green beans
- a handful spinach
- 80 grams or 1/2 cup cooked chick peas
- 80 grams or 1/2 cup canned bamboo shoots
- 250 grams or 9 oz noodles of your choice
- black pepper
- a splash of lime juice
- black and white sesame to garnish
- 1 tablespoon fried crispy onions to serve optional
- Set a wok or a large skillet at medium-high heat. Shave or chop carrots. Add a lug of vegetable oil to the wok and once it's hot, add carrots. Stir-fry for 4 minutes. Transfer to two bowls and set aside.
- Chop shallots, garlic and red chili pepper. In a saucepan heat 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil. Add shallots, garlic, chili pepper and ginger and cook for 3 minutes over medium-high heat. Add coconut milk and lower the heat. Add fish and soy sauce. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare noodles as per instruction on the package and distribute them to the bowls once they are ready.
- Set the wok back onto the stove. Heat a lug of vegetable oil and stir-fry shiitake mushrooms for 4 minutes. Transfer to the bowls and continue stir-frying green beans, then spinach and finally chick peas with bamboo shoots each for about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the bowls with a splash of lime juice sprinkled with black and white sesame seeds and fried crispy onions (optional). Enjoy!
What is your favorite “go-to” Asian dinner recipe? Please leave a comment below!
P.S. Check the most popular recipe on my site: Healthy Veggie Bowls: Roasted and Stir Fried Veggies with Avocado Dressing.