Easy, delicious, velvety and smooth homemade vanilla bean ice cream recipe. All you need to know about making your own vanilla ice cream dessert from 5 ingredients without refined sugar!
I’ve been making this vanilla bean ice cream several times and I couldn’t enjoy it more now, since I bought an ice cream maker! It makes the process so much easier and faster! Although, last summer I made it with a hand mixer and it came out just as good. Of course, if you don’t mind mixing your ice cream every 20 minutes for 3-4 hours. If it sounds like a lot of work, I really recommend investing in an ice cream maker. It’s so worth this 30$! Just imagine how many different kinds of ice cream, sorbet and frozen yoghurt you can make! Besides, you are in control of the ingredients and the amount of sugar added.
Most of the ready-made ice cream contain things you don’t want in your ice cream: pig fat, lard, corn, raps seed and palm tree oil, even protein extracted from blood of an ocean pout, an eel-like creature that lives in the North Atlantic. Not to mention food coloring, emulsifiers, stabilizers and flavoring. The list of ingredients is normally enormously long. That’s why I prefer homemade ice cream that is made easier with my brand new ice cream maker! You can find so many of them on Amazon, cheap like mine and more expensive with from Cuisinart, cute ones designed as wooden buckets (but still electric) and vintage-style ice cream and gelato makers. You can even get yourself an ice cream maker attachment for your KitchenAid standing mixer for just 60$!
How To Make Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
A couple of words about the process of ice cream making at home. To make this vanilla bean ice cream you will need cream, milk, brown sugar, egg yolks and a vanilla bean. First, you boil the milk and let it cool. Then stir the seeds from the vanilla been cut lengthwise and scrapped with a knife or a teaspoon, vanilla bean, egg yolks and sugar into the cooled milk. Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally and let cool. The next step is to whip the cream and mix it gently with the vanilla mixture.
Now it’s time to start your ice cream maker. Check the instruction before using it. I had to freeze the metal bowl of my ice cream maker for at least 8 hours before using it. I put the ice cream mixture into the bowl and start the ice cream maker. After 30 minutes of churning, check your ice cream every couple of minutes to see weather it’s ready. It should be thick but not firm. Make sure you avoid these 5 mistakes when making ice cream. Finally, transfer the ice cream into a container and freeze for about 2 hours. Now you are ready to go! Check the full recipe below and enjoy your homemade vanilla bean ice cream this summer.
Easy Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- 120 ml or 1/3 cup milk at least 6% fat
- 1 vanilla bean
- 90 grams or 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 400 ml or 1 3/4 cup heavy cream
- strawberry sauce optional
- In a saucepan or small pot, boil the milk and let it cool. Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrap the seeds with a knife or a teaspoon.
- Stir the seeds, vanilla bean, egg yolks and sugar into the cooled milk. Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally and let cool. Remove the vanilla bean from the mixture.
- Whip the cream and stir it gently into the vanilla mixture.Transfer into a bowl of your ice cream maker and start the churning (make sure you froze the bowl of your ice cream maker for at least 8 hours in advance or as per instructions). After 30 minutes of churning, check your ice cream every couple of minutes to see weather it's ready. It should be thick but not firm. Transfer the ice cream into a container and freeze for about 2 hours. Serve with strawberry sauce (optional). Enjoy!