Sesame Salmon with Wild Rice and Creamy Zucchini: Easy to make and well-balanced 25 minutes Asian-style recipe. Low carb, gluten-free, healthy.
One shocking fact about me: I haven’t eaten rice until I was in my early twenties. Before the turning point I tried sushi and for some more years to go, the only thing I ate that contained rice was sushi. And I must tell you, I missed so much! Now I use rice in my cooking quite often. Maybe I even overuse it sometimes. In the recipe I will be sharing with you today, rice is a side dish. I used a mixture of brown and wild rice because I think it fetches out the taste of salmon and zucchini in a nice new way. You still can use white rice though if you want, but if you haven’t try wild rice yet, you definitely should. Wild rice is low-carb, rich in proteins, contains much more antioxidants than white rice and lowers cholesterol levels. As for salmon, the sesame coating really rules. You can go ahead and use black sesame as well. I’ve been unsuccessfully hunting for it in German grocery stores. In the end, I found it at the Spice Market in Istanbul and purchased a lot! So next time I would use it together with white sesame for the coating. Zucchini completes this meal and makes it very well balanced and healthy. The combination of salmon, wild rice and zucchini makes the meal very light and low-caloric, which means that you can have a small extra portion 🙂
How to Make Salmon Fried in Sesame Seeds with Wild Rice and Creamy Zucchini
Here is the recipe:
Salmon Fried in Sesame Seeds with Wild Rice and Creamy Zucchini
For the rice:
- 125 grams or 1/2 cup brown and wild rice mixture
For the salmon:
- 250 grams or 1/2 pound salmon
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 45 grams or 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
For the creamy zucchini:
- 1 medium-sized zucchini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- 100 ml or 1/2 cup 20% cream
- olive oil to fry
- Start with boiling rice according to the instruction on your package. I boiled a triple amount of water with a pinch of salt, added rice and boiled for 20 min over low heat in a covered pot.
- Put a pan over a medium heat. Add a bit of olive oil.
- Cut your zucchini in two halves lengthwise and then finely chop it.
- Cook zucchini for about 5-7 minutes or until soft, then add lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper and cook for 2 more minutes. Add chives and cream and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Cut salmon in cubes with 3 cm (1 inch) side and put them in a bowl. Add soy sauce and sesame seeds and mix well.
- Cook salmon in a pan over medium heat with a bit of olive oil from all sides until the sesame is golden (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Arrange rice, salmon cubes and zucchini on two plates and season to taste.
How else do you use wild rice in your cooking? I would really like to hear from you!
Have a nice day! Elena