Pumpkin and Kale with Creamy Polenta: Easy, quick and healthy weekday dinner + 14 more healthy and quick dinner ideas. Delicious, flavorful and easy!
If you are looking for something healthy after the holiday season, here you go: Pumpkin and Kale with Creamy Polenta. It’s an easy and quick dinner, ready in less than 30 minutes! Gluten-free, low carbohydrate, low fat, vegan, nourishing, seasonal and packed with vitamins. Ideal for a winter dinner! I feel like I need it after coming home from two-week holidays in Moscow. I was eating way too much, so it’s time to start eating healthy again. Pumpkin, kale and polenta are good for you and together they will make a nice weekday dinner which is light and delicious! A few words about how healthy they are:
Pumpkin is a source of fiber, antioxidants, carotenoids, potassium, being rich in vitamins A and C and keeping your vision sharp, your skin smooth and your heart healthy. It helps you stay full longer, so you won’t be munchy after dinner.
Kale is the richest source of vitamin K and contains insane amounts of other vitamins (A, E, C, B1, B2, B3 and B6 ), minerals (manganese, calcium, iron, magnesium and copper), fiber, protein, omega-3 fats and antioxidants. It has anti-inflammatory, cancer-preventive, cholesterol-lowering and detoxification benefits. It provides more nutritional value for fewer calories than any other food!
Polenta is rich in vitamin A and C, as well as caroteinoids being a low carbohydrate and cancer preventive food.
Here is the recipe of pumpkin and kale with creamy polenta:
Pumpkin and Kale with Creamy Polenta: Meatless Monday Dinner
For pumpkin and kale with creamy polenta:
- 250 grams or 1 1/2 cup polenta
- 1 l or 4 1/2 cups water
- 50 grams or 1/2 cup grated parmesan optional
- 1/2 small pumpkin
- 1 small red chili pepper
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 200 grams or 7 oz curly kale chopped, veins removed
- 1/3 leek sliced
- black pepper
- 120 grams or 4 oz mozzarella optional
For the dressing:
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Demerara sugar optional
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- black pepper
- 4 tablespoons pomegranate seeds to serve
- In a pot, bring water with a tablespoon of salt to a boil. Gradually add polenta, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat, add parmesan (optional),cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the pumpkin. Heat a lug of vegetable oil in a large pan or wok over medium high heat. Add pumpkin and cook until the pumpkin it is soft, about 8 minutes. Chop red chili pepper and thyme leaves and add them before the pumpkin is ready. Transfer to a plate and put the pan or wok back on the stove.
- Add a bit of oil to the pan and once it's hot, add garlic and kale. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add leek slices and cook until soft and slightly golden, about 4 minutes.
- Make the dressing: combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, Demerara sugar (optional), chopped basil, a pinch of salt and black pepper. Arrange polenta, pumpkin, kale and leek on two plates. Add sliced mozzarella (optional). Serve with balsamic dressing and pomegranate seeds. Enjoy!
Make sure to check other healthy and quick dinner ideas on my blog!
Warm Winter Salad with Pumpkin, Goat Cheese, Cranberries and Avocado Dressing
Healthy Quinoa Bowls with Kale, Carrots and Tahini Turmeric Dressing
Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese
French Style Stuffed Eggplants
Vegan Grain Stew with Sweet Potatoes, Hazelnuts and Crispy Bread Crumbs
Beetroot Salad with Persimmon, Kale and Goat Cheese
Creamy Pumpkin Puree with Mushrooms and Garlicky Pumpkin Oil
Kale Pumpkin Salad with Feta and Pesto Dressing
Vegan Pumpkin Quinoa Risotto “Quinotto”
Roasted Eggplant Sweet Potato Curry with Cheese Paratha
Roasted Butternut Squash with Chick Peas and Tofu Dip
Roasted Carrots with Indian Spices and Cashew Feta Dip
Healthy Veggie Bowls: Roasted and Stir Fried Veggies with Avocado Dressing
Salmon Fried in Sesame Seeds with Wild Rice and Creamy Zucchini
If you want to know more about clean eating, here I share some tips.