This sugar free wild plum jam is sweetened with a bit of honey and spiced with cloves and anise. Easy and delicious step-by-step recipe.
Picking ripe wild mirabelle plums straight from the tree was so much fun! I had plenty of plans for them: sugar free wild plum jam, Georgian tkemali sauce, blueberry plum galette (coming soon!) and of course eating them raw for breakfast on top of my oatmeal. Today I’m sharing a wild plum jam recipe with you, which is sugar free and spiced with cloves and anise. It smells and tastes so good, that it’s currently my favorite jam.
Spices give it a unique Christmassy aroma, which is making me to look forward to Christmas now, in the middle of August. I’m not sure I made enough jam to survive until then, because we already emptied 4 of the 6 jars I made! If you are planning to store it longer, make sure to double or tripple the recipe. It’s really that good!
The best thing about this jam (besides its wonderful taste) is that it’s absolutely guilt-free! No sugar, just a bit of honey and agar-agar powder to thicken it up. The consistency is just right, so you can spread it on a toast (or homemade French brioche), top your oatmeal or yoghurt with it or even add it to salad dressings (like I did). This wild plum jam is healthy and delicious, so I can’t think of a reason not to go to this mirabelle plum tree again and make even more wild plum jam!
How to Make Sugar Free Wild Plum Jam
The procedure of making it is really simple. You can use any plums for this recipe, not necessarily wild. Pit your plums, blend them (or don’t, depending on what consistency you like more), add honey and spices, bring to a boil and add agar-agar powder, dissolved in a bit of hot water. Then simmer for about 20 minutes until it’s nicely thickened.
Sterilize your jars before transferring the jam into them. I usually boil them for at least 15 minutes together with lids. This jam isn’t made for storing longer than a month in the fridge.
If you are interested in canning but don’t really know how to start, let me introduce you to Jenny Gomes from A Domestic Wildflower. She is an expert in canning and she covers everything you need to know about canning in her canning course for beginners. Get step by step video lessons, clear instructions, fool proof recipes, and reap the benefits for your health and wallet from an expert! Jenny generously offered a 20 % discount on her course for you, my readers! Just use the special price coupon code: ELENASREADERS and enroll to the course!
Check the recipe below for additional details:
Sugar Free Wild Plum Jam
- 1 kg or 2.2 lbs wild plums
- 5 tablespoons honey (or more to your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves ground
- 1/4 teaspoon anise ground
- 2 teaspoons agar-agar powder
- 100 ml or 1/2 cup boiling water
- MAKING JAM: Pit your wild plums, blend them (or don't, depending on what consistency you like more), add honey, ground cloves and anise and bring to a boil over medium heat. Whisk agar-agar powder with boiling water until smooth. Add it to plums and simmer for about 20 minutes until it's nicely thickened.
- CANNING: Sterilize your jars before transferring the jam into them. I usually boil them for at least 15 minutes together with lids. This jam isn't made for storing longer than a month in the fridge. Enjoy!
Here are some more canning, pickling an preserving recipes for you:
What is your favorite way of making a “healthy” jam? What kind of sweetener do you usually use? Leave a comment below!