Refreshing and light watermelon gazpacho is a perfect vegan and raw summer soup. This easy recipe only takes 15 minutes to make!
A couple years back, my husband and I went to a cooking class here in Hamburg. It was a wedding gift, one of those you don’t rush to use. We had really low expectations, when we came there but we had to change our mind. I got a lot of inspiration for the years to come after this class! For instance, this watermelon gazpacho was inspired by peach gazpachio we made there. I mean, the whole idea of cold soups is genius. That’s exactly what I’m craving these days, when it’s too hot to think about turning on the oven or stove.
This watermelon gazpacho is so refreshing you wouldn’t believe it. Skip the garlic and make it your breakfast smoothie. Serve it for lunch or dinner with a slice of grilled ciabatta bread. Serve it at a party as an appetizer or bring it on a picnic. It’s the ultimate summer soup, energizing and hydrating, just exactly what you need on a hot summer day.
Besides, it’s super easy to make. You will only need your blender, no pots or pans, which is a big plus when washing dishes isn’t your thing. This soup also serves a problem of using up watermelon that doesn’t fit in the fridge (that was my case). I love watermelon but there is often a problem that you can’t buy a small one or that bigger ones are much sweeter and tastier, so you end up buying a giant one and having a hard time trying to squeeze it in the fridge. It’s like playing tetris for me every time. Using it up by making this watermelon gazpacho usually resolves the issue.
How to Make Watermelon Gazpacho
The process of making the watermelon gazpacho couldn’t be easier. You just roughly chop everything and blend. Done! The ingredients include watermelon (remove the seeds first if it’s not seedless), tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, bread for the thicker consistency, white wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, fresh basil and lime juice. Serve it with grilled slices of ciabatta. It tastes great if you eat it immediately, but it’s also possible to make it at least a day ahead.
Go ahead and make this refreshing watermelon gazpacho! Check the full recipe below:
- 6 slices ciabatta bread
- 400 grams or 0.9 lbs tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed
- 1/2 big cucumber peeled
- 600 grams or 1.3 lbs watermelon seeds removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves + more to garnish
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + 1for grilled ciabatta
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- WATERMELON GAZPACHO: Roughly chop all the solid ingredients (keeping 4 slices of ciabatta bread) and transfer them to a food processor or blender. Add lime juice, white wine vinegar and 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Blend until smooth and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with basil leaves.
- GRILLED CIABATTA: Heat a grill or a griddle pan to medium high heat. Drizzle 4 ciabatta slices with the remaining olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Grill for 2 minutes each side. Serve with watermelon gazpacho. Enjoy!
If you make this cold soup, don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #happykitchenrocks on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter! I’m excited to see your creations!
Other Summer Recipes You’ll Love