A beautiful, effortless, healthy and flavorful beetroot carpaccio with orange mustard vinaigrette and pomegranate seeds, served with parmesan and arugula.
Besides pumpkin, one of my favorite autumn vegetables is beetroot. It’s very popular in the East (you know borsch, the king of East European soups?) but in Western Europe it’s mostly forgotten. But beetroot is good for you: it has a high nutritional value, it contains a lot of folic acid, dietary fiber, proteins and antioxidants. Moreover, this beet carpaccio is delicious, it’s sweet, it has an amazing color and tender texture! Beef carpaccio can be good but the beetroot one is definitely an amazing alternative.
For this beetroot carpaccio I roasted the beets wrapped in aluminum foil first. Then it took me not more than 10 minutes to assemble the carpaccio! You can roast beetroots 1 or 2 days in advance which makes the salad really quick and effortless to prepare.
If you are looking for an appetizer or a salad which tastes great, looks impressive and is super easy to make, let me present you: Beet Carpaccio with Orange Mustard Vinaigrette and Pomegranate Seeds. You will be pleasantly surprised how delicious and rich its taste is. Other ingredients include arugula, parmesan and pinenuts. You can skip parmesan to make it vegan. For the vinaigrette, I combined olive oil, white wine vinegar, orange juice, mustard and mustard seeds. Check the full recipe below:
How to Make Beetroot Carpaccio with Orange Mustard Vinaigrette
Beetroot Carpaccio with Orange Mustard Vinaigrette
For the carpaccio:
- 2 medium-sized beetroots
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 handful arugula
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon pinenuts
- 10-12 thin slices of parmesan or other hard cheese (use potato peeler)
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC or 350 ºF. Take a piece of aluminum foil big enough to wrap 2 beetroots. Put them on the sheet of foil, sprinkle with salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons olive oil and wrap them tightly. Put them in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Make the vinaigrette: combine orange juice, olive oil, white wine vinegar, mustard, mustard seeds, a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- When beetroot is ready, let it cool, peel and thinly cut with a sharp knife. Take two plates and assemble the carpaccio. Divide beetroot slices evenly and slightly overlap them on plates. Put arugula in the middle, arrange parmesan slices around it and spoon the vinaigrette over carpaccio. Sprinkle with pomegranate and pine seeds. Pour a bit of Balsamico cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Do you like the idea of simple and refreshing fall starters like this one? What else do you have in mind? Leave a comment below!