Incredibly creamy and easy vegan corn chowder soup recipe is ready in under 30 minutes. This smoky corn chowder is made of corn, zucchini, bell peppers, potatoes, coconut milk and millet. Perfect soup for early fall!
- It’s as creamy as it can be without dairy;
- The texture of this corn chowder is just right! I used two little tricks you’ll find below;
- Thanks to grilled corn and smoked paprika, this chowder is really smoky without any bacon added;
- This corn chowder is the best way to use leftover grilled corn after barbecue;
- The addition of dill (and avocado dill dressing) adds a slightly tangy touch to the sweet chowder;
- It takes no more than 30 minutes to make this chowder from start to finish;
- It’s incredibly satisfying, so it’s perfect for lunch and/or dinner.
So you are probably wondering how this corn chowder can be so creamy while being vegan at the same time? The answer is two little tricks I used, and the first one is adding millet to it. It’s my recent discovery that I never thought I will like but here I am, adding millet to my vegan corn chowder and enjoying it so much! I only knew millet before in the form of porridge, which I hated as a kid, so now this grain is showing me its other side. It pairs so well with corn and makes this vegan corn chowder thicker and extra nutritious, which is our goal.
The second trick I used to create the best texture is blending half of the chowder once it’s done, while leaving the other half chuncky. This ensures the creamiest texture with chewy veggies and crunchy corn kernels I garnished my chowder with.
How to Make The Best Vegan Corn Chowder
Start by preparing your veggies. Chop onion, mince garlic, dice potatoes, zucchini and yellow bell pepper, slice kernels off the corn. I used grilled corn for extra smoky flavor but you can also use fresh sweet corn. Heat a lug of olive oil and sauté your onions until translucent. Add the rest of the veggies and continue sautéing for about 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add vegetable broth, coconut milk, white wine vinegar, smoked paprika, salt, freshly ground black pepper and millet. Cover and simmer for 10-15 more minutes, until the potatoes are done. Pulse half the soup in a blender until smooth and return it back to the pot. Stir everything well and serve with avocado dill dressing, a few extra corn kernels and fresh dill.
Check the recipe below and make sure you made the best out of the corn season!
Recipes similar to vegan corn chowder
- Sweet potato lentil soup
- Roasted butternut squash soup
- Vegan rice noodle ramen
- Vegan minestrone
- Roasted carrot soup
- Vegan borscht soup
The Best Vegan Corn Chowder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 3 ears grilled corn on the cob (or fresh sweet corn, husked)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 small yellow potatoes, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 700 ml or 3 cups homemade vegetable broth
- 1 400 ml or 14 oz can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons millet
- 4 tablespoons avocado dill dressing, optional
- 4 sprigs fresh dill, to garnish
- In a large pot, heat a lug of olive oil and sauté your onions until translucent. Slice kernels off the corn. Add garlic, diced potatoes, zucchini and bell pepper, corn kernels (saving 4 tablespoons for garnishing), and continue sautéing for about 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetable broth, coconut milk, vinegar, smoked paprika, salt, freshly ground black pepper and millet. Cover and simmer for 10-15 more minutes, until the potatoes are done. If it's too thick to your taste, thin it up with a bit more vegetable broth.
- Pulse half the soup in a blender until smooth and return it back to the pot. Stir everything well and serve with avocado dill dressing, corn kernels and fresh dill. Enjoy!
Other Vegan Corn Recipes You’ll Love
Friday 2nd of September 2016
Looks sooo delicious. Photos are beautiful. Thanks for inspiration Elena. Sharing this! Have a great weekend too ;)
Friday 2nd of September 2016
Thank you so much, Natalie! I'm so please to hear it from you! ;)