Harissa is a flavorful spicy condiment, used for roasted vegetables, meat, fish or soups. Green Harissa is a real metabolism booster, healthy and vegan.
Harissa is an amazingly flavorful spicy condiment, which makes roasted vegetables, meat, fish, soups, and couscous taste great. Moreover, it can be used as a spread for bread or as a dip for anything you like (if you like spicy dips, of course). I also used it as a barbecue marinade, and it worked perfectly. Harissa comes from Tunisia, but good things spread very fast, and here I am 2.000 km away from Tunisia, enjoying this delicious metabolism booster.
Classic Harissa is red (made of chilli peppers), so it’s more spicy than the green one. Green Harissa is made of herbs, olive oil, cumin, coriander, chilli and garlic, which makes it really good for your health, and not too spicy. You can make it less hot by reducing the amount of chilli pepper. Oil and lemon juice are used for the more liquid consistency and for preserving the sauce. You can store it in the coldest part of your fridge for a really long time, unlike Harissa from the store. Don’t forget to cover the top with a good layer of olive oil before you put it in the fridge.
How to Make Green Harissa
Homemade Green Harissa Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-3 chilli peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + more to preserve the sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Roast coriander and cumin seeds in a pan over medium heat for 2-3 min, stirring often, until fragrant. Set aside.
- Chop garlic cloves and chilli peppers, add chopped mint, cilantro, parsley, salt, olive oil, coriander and cumin seeds and blend it all in a food processor or blender until it is smooth. You can adjust the consistency by adding more olive oil, if you want.
Here is an idea of an amazing tomato soup you can make with Harissa. Do you use Harissa sauce in cooking? I would be happy to hear from you!