For those who can’t get enough of pumpkin this season, I share my husband’s famous recipe of a pumpkin soup today. Who doesn’t like pumpkin soup? I really love it but I haven’t tried it until my husband made it some years ago. It was so delicious that it instantly became my husband’s speciality. Whenever we wanted a bowl of steaming pumpkin soup, my husband would make it. It was really nice of him but he kept the recipe in secret. I can understand his reasons but I really wanted to make it by myself next time! I knew that the recipe is ridiculously easy and doesn’t take much time. I was pretty sure that the base consists of roasted pumpkin and vegetable stock (just like my vegan pumpkin leek soup) but the spice mix was a mystery to me. It wasn’t just spicy, it had a very rich and perfectly balanced taste with sweet, slightly tangy, aromatic and astringent notes. So I decided to duplicate this taste by all means. I know it’s not good to pry into the kitchen to steal someone’s recipe. But it happened so many times with famous chefs! I’ve already shared the story of the famous Olivier (a.k.a. Russian) salad. I went nearly the same way and I’m sharing my husband’s spicy pumpkin soup recipe with you today! Don’t judge me too harshly please 🙂 And psst! Don’t tell anyone 🙂
Spicy Pumpkin Soup with North Sea Shrimps
For the soup:
- 1 medium-sized Hokkaido pumpkin or 2 cans pumpkin puree
- 500 ml or 2 cups vegetable broth or water more if you like it more liquid
- 1 tablespoon North Sea shrimps per serving omit if vegetarian or vegan
- 1 teaspoon sour cream per serving omit if vegan
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds per serving
For the pumpkin soup spice mix:
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dried red chilli pepper
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek
- 1 tablespoon teaspoon dried turmeric you can also use 1fresh turmeric
- If not using pumpkin puree: Preheat the oven to 180 ºC or 350 ºF. Remove seeds from pumpkin and dice the flesh with a sharp knife. Put the pumpkin dices in a baking dish, sprinkle with olive oil, salt and black pepper and roast for 30-35 minutes. Transfer to a pot and blend it with a blender until smooth. I use Philips Hr2096 Avance Collection Blender If using pumpkin puree: transfer it to the pot.
- Prepare the pumpkin soup spice mix: grind and combine all the spices and add 1 tablespoon in the pumpkin mixture.
- Add vegetable broth or water and let simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with North Sea shrimps and sour cream. Enjoy!
- P.S. You can serve this pumpkin soup with homemade spelt crackers